The Shaw Prize Foundation Limited, is a charitable company limited by guarantee incorporated in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China (“Hong Kong”) (referred to in this Policy as “Foundation”, “we” “our” or “us”). We are committed to safeguarding the personal data provided to us by individuals and ensuring that such personal data are handled in accordance with the requirements of the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance (Cap. 486) (the “PDPO”), the Laws of Hong Kong.
Please read this Policy carefully to understand our privacy practices. By accessing and/or using the Website or providing your personal data to us, you are accepting this Policy. If you do not agree with this Policy, please do not continue to access or use the Website.
This Policy may from time to time be updated, revised or changed. Please check this page on a regular basis to review any updates, revisions or changes we might make.
This Policy may be translated into different languages. In the event of any discrepancy or inconsistency between the different language versions, the English version shall prevail.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or at the below address if you have any question about this Policy:
The Shaw Prize Foundation Limited
L5, Shaw House, Shaws Studios
201 Wan Po Road
Tseung Kwan O, New Territories
1. Personal Data Collection
You may be required to provide with personally-identifiable information, which will generally include, but are not limited to, name, contact address (e.g. office, email, home and/or mailing address), telephone numbers, and/or other personal title, name of the individual’s organization/institution, etc. (collectively “Personal Data”). Personal Data may be collected through the Website or otherwise in conjunction with your access and use of the Website. You are not obliged to provide your Personal Data, but if you do not provide or in the event that incomplete or inaccurate information is provided, we may not be able to provide you activities features or services offered on the Website.
When you use the Websites, cookies will be stored in your computer, mobile phones or other devices. This information is for internal navigation and programming only and no personal data will be collected and saved. You may choose not to accept cookies, however, if you do so, you may not be able to utilise all features of the Website.
We may also collect information regarding your IP address, browser type, domain name and access time. This information is used for our own research purposes. As it is not linked to any personal information, it is separate from your Personal Data.
2. Use of Personal Data
We may use your Personal Data in the following ways:–
- processing and responding to your inquiries, comments and requests, and/or facilitating communication with us;
- monitor, maintain, customize or improve the contents, security, quality and/or users’ experience of the Website;
- operating our internal control of the Website and monitor or improve the security of our servers and networks;
- detect, investigate and prevent activities that may violate our policies or be illegal;
- compiling aggregate statistics about users to analyze usage of the Website; or
- use for or in connection with our operation, management, administration, publicity, publication, public relations activities, provision of information to the press and public, and/or any other functions, services or activities that we may at any time undertake for, in relation to or in connection with the Shaw Prize and/or the Website.
3. Direct marketing
We do not collect, use and provide your Personal Data for direct marketing to you.
We will take all practicable steps to keep your Personal Data confidential but we may provide your Personal Data to other third parties for various purposes as set out in further detail below:-
- to any third party service provider providing website statistics and analytical services and other services for the Website;
- to any service provider engaged to process data on our behalf, or to provide us with services in relation to information technology support, server and database management andmaintenance, website hosting, etc, or provide services or functions for or on our behalf (which may include but are not limited to publicity-related services) for or in connection with any or all of the relevant purposes as set out in this Policy and/or our operation and management of the Shaw Prize and/or the Website;
- to any third parties as a result of a merger, acquisition, consolidation, transfer of assets, change of control, re-organisation of our company/operation, liquidation, or sale or dissolution of assets; or
- to any person to whom we are under an obligation to disclose your Personal Data for legal or regulatory purposes including domestic and overseas government and regulatory authorities or law enforcement authorities or the courts or arbitration tribunals.
Unless expressly stated in this Policy or with your prior consent, personal data collected from you will not be disclosed to any third party other than the above-named parties.
5. Security of Personal Data
The Website and our servers have incorporated reasonable safeguards to protect your Personal Data and we have use appropriate measures to protect your Personal Data from unauthorized access, alteration, disclosure, loss and misuse. However, while we try our best to safeguard your Personal Data once we receive it, due to the inherent open nature of the Internet, we cannot guarantee your Personal Data transmitted or stored on the Website or our servers will be completely free from unauthorized access by third parties such as hackers, or free from any human errors. We shall not be liable to you for any unauthorized access, alteration, disclosure, loss, and misuse to your Personal Data nor be held liable for any claims, loss or damage whatsoever howsoever resulting from any such unauthorized activity and/or any security breach not caused by our negligence or is outside our control.
6. Links to other websites
This Policy only applies to the Website. If you click on any advertisement or hyperlink which links to other websites, you will leave the Website and go to such websites. We do not accept any responsibility for any personal data that you provide and/or any cookies that you accept while using other websites. You are advised to read the privacy policies of other websites when you visit them.
7. Storage or processing of Personal Data
Your Personal Data may be stored or processed on our computers or servers located in any country. By accessing and using this Website, you hereby confirm you understand, agree and consent to the transfer of your Personal Data outside Hong Kong to our facilities or data processors outside Hong Kong. The personal data protection laws of other countries might be different from Hong Kong, but we will take all reasonable steps to ensure the protection of your privacy and will only collect and use your Personal Data for the purposes which are set out in this Policy.
8. Your Rights
You have the rights under the PDPO to:-
- know whether we hold your Personal Data;
- check what type of your Personal Data is held by us;
- access to any of your Personal Data held by us,
- require us to correct any of your Personal Data which is inaccurate; and
- request a copy of this Policy.
If you want to exercise any of these rights, please contact us by sending your inquiry/request to email@example.com or The Shaw Prize Foundation Limited, L5, Shaw House, Shaw Studios, 201 Wan Po Road, Tseung Kwan O, New Territories, Hong Kong.
You may always opt-out of receiving communications from us by clicking the opt-out point we provide to you, or you can send us your opt-out request by the above contact means.
9. Retention of Data
We will only retain your Personal Data for as long as necessary for the fulfilment of the purposes for which such data are or are to be used and for the purposes of satisfying our legal, regulatory, accounting and/or compliance requirements, thereafter they will be destroyed.
Adoption date: 1 September 2023